.

.
"The stars shall fade away, the sun himself grow dim with age, and nature sink in years, but thou shalt flourish in immortal youth."

Saturday, October 29, 2011

TRANSCENDENTALLY ORGANIC | Interview with Claudia Dian

a conversation Rukii Naraya with Claudia Dian.


“When I was a 3 or 4 year-old kid, my grandma, who happened to really like drawing, taught me to write for the first time. She taught me to write by drawing it. I started learning from making 'zero' in various sizes, freely spreading them on the papers, colouring them with brightly coloured crayons and I found it was really fun to learn it that way. I think that's when I started to say 'hi' to art.” She told about her first time acquainted with art. Actually, I really surprised that she have an impressive drawing skill. And I really like the character of her drawing.
Claudia Dian, I called her Dian. A really nice and simple nickname, memorable. Dian was born in Jakarta and continue her study in Faculty of Fine Arts and Design, ITB.


“Jakarta”
“ A place, which unfortunately I have to say, has hundreds of reason for me to die sooner, and not much a pleasant place to spend the rest of my live. I'm in love with this city I currently settle in, Bandung.” She said.

“What is your reason to do art?” I asked her in a nice afternoon in her yard.
“Art is a catharsis, and a loyal friend. I find it relieving to share my unspeakable thoughts or feelings through art. It is full of acceptance, when my thought seems disagreeable to be said, art will easily buying it.”
“So, how does it feel when you do art?”
“It makes me warm and comfortable like a cup of chamomile tea. It's also like a doctor who can constantly cure all of my illnesses. I feel stripped off but I love it.”
“hmmm…” I thought that what she might think, I feel like think it too. When I’m in my confusion, feel so art depressed was kind of oasis among a vast desert, kind of cure.

“Why ink, watercolors and paper?”
“I feel connected and satisfied when I finish a work with those mediums. But I'm so interested in trying other mediums. And I also do love drypoint and etching.”

I browsed her works that looks abstract.
“what do you want to convey from your works?” I was so curious for that matter.
“My own self” she said. There’s a humble smile under her glasses.
“The good, the bad, and the ugly”
“Those are sides I personally think I'm all about, and so does everybody else. We're all basically the same, a part of something bigger, have our own functions like organs, and I'd like to think it that way.”

“Now, what do you think of your own artwork?”
She thought for a moment. I know her as a tranquil girl, and saw her face turned into serious.
“Hm, transcendentally organic?”
“what’s that?”
“The word "organic" is originally get from one of my lecturer who described my works, and I kinda like that. "Transcendentally" means I work intuitively and I often find myself contemplating the ideas come from my works. Being in the process of making a work of art, to me is one way to meditate.”
“aahh….ya ya ya”

“who does influence you in art?”
“Im a huge fan of Ay Tjoe Christine, for her perspectives and intensity. She doesn't talk much, but her works do, at least to me. I love her expressive nature, silence, and unspeakable feelings when I look at her works.”
“I also regard music as my inspiration, mostly folk tunes, major eargasm.”
Suddenly came a sound from my computer.

“what is your dream, Dian?”
“Going to my own museum and private library by my own hot-air balloon and picking sunflowers in my own enormous garden afterwards with my hippie friends and loyal dog.” She answered it enthusiastically.
“Museum is Important but there are conditions you need to consider before building one, especially in our country. Education about art itself here is more important than that.”
So, what do you think about today’s art evolution? Especially with youth art.
“Nowadays, art is one of the most common way to express oneself, especially young ones. This is a decade when almost anything is considered art, and I personally think that young people are the most responsible for that.”

August, 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment